Science in the News
This page is for us to share cool findings, articles, and research that we come across. Have something you think we should see? Send Stephanie an email!
- What role do bones play in aging?
- Exercise is important! (but also the dancing skeleton is pretty awesome)
- Bones are incredibly cool!
- Transparent animals can be used to help visualize the nervous system or organs – how cool is this?!? Video / Paper
- Print on Demand Bones: Researchers at Northwestern come up with a combination of materials that can be used to 3D print bones
- A great video about how astronauts keep their bones healthy in space.
- Strandbeests – Theo Jansen builds artistic kinetic sculptures powered by wind
- FDA approves OPRA, a prosthetic leg implanted into the femur for amputees
- New fixes for worn knees: Scientists test implanting an artificial meniscus or inducing the body to grow a new one
- Research with space explorers may one day heal Earth’s warriors – Research aboard the ISS looks into growing bone
- 3D printing helps grow bone to restore facial structure – “Researchers at Johns Hopkins University are using 3D printing technology to convert CT scans of facial bones into templates for new bone formation…”
- Social Media Accelerates Science – very interesting read and food for thought.
- Meet Gabi Shull, a dancer who had her leg amputated and her foot reattached backwards at the knee joint. Just one of many many examples of how biomedical engineering can improve quality of life.